Reading Informational Texts - Book I
Nonfiction Passages and Exercises Based on the Common Core State Standards
Intended for Grade 9.
Reading Informational Texts adds challenging nonfiction passages to your curriculum, helping you meet the Common Core State Standards.
Informational texts can be difficult to find and teach — even for seasoned teachers — but the annotated passages in Reading Informational Texts help teachers and students alike by revealing rhetorical techniques, explaining historical context, and clarifying logical arguments.
Your students get the information they need, and you save countless hours of prep time.
Texts in Book I:
- Ernie Pyle: "The Death of Captain Waskow"
- Harriet Jacobs: Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Chapters I & II ("Childhood" and "The New Master and Mistress")
- Patrick Henry: Speech to the Second Virginia Convention
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy: 1961 Inaugural Address
- Margaret Chase Smith: Remarks to the Senate in Support of a Declaration of Conscience
- NASA: "Light Emitting Diodes Bring Relief to Young Cancer Patients"
- Justice Frank Murphy: Dissenting Opinion in the Case of Korematsu v. United States
Click here for more information about the Reading Informational Texts series.